July 17 – 18, 2021
The Giants Ridge Patrol invites you to join us at the Giants Ridge Resort for this year's Western Region NSP meeting!
The weekend promises to be fun and informational!
The Giants Ridge Resort follows current CDC and State of Minnesota guidelines with regards to the pandemic.
Register for Events and the Banquet Dinner HERE or go to https://nspwr.org and navigate to Members -> Events
Country Inn of Hoyt Lakes (11 miles)
99 Kennedy Memorial Dr, Hoyt Lakes, MN 55750
Note: A block of rooms has been booked for us. Reservations for this are required by June 15!
The Villas at Giants Ridge (onsite)
· Studio, 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedroom Villas
· Visit https://villasatgiantsridge.com/
The Lodge at Giants Ridge (on site)
· 1, 2, and 3 bedroom condos
· Visit www.lodgeatgiantsridge.com
Green Gate Guest Houses (3 miles)
· 5748 County Road 138 Biwabik, MN 55708 218-290-2607
Saturday, July 17
Classes and Seminars
There is NO cost for any of these sessions, but we ask that you please sign up so that we can plan appropriately.
9:00 am – noon
· YAP Summit
Patrollers from age 15-18 are invited to join Judy Hill, Jenny Enich and Molly Casey for a fun morning of team building that will incorporate rescue techniques and OEC skills. We will be outside, so dress accordingly. Bike or ski helmet is required! Meet on the deck outside the South Chalet.
· Lift Evacuation
Learn all the latest tips and techniques from the NSAA/NSP new Aerial Evacuation Resource Guide. Scott Stanley, from the Three Rivers Patrol, will lead a discussion and demonstration session on the new guidelines for lift evacuation. Bring your own equipment to show if you wish. We will have access to an operating chair lift with a lift attendant. Bike or ski helmet is required! Meet at the bottom of the Calgary Chair Lift.
· Instructor Development Course
Region ID Advisor, Bob Iverson from the Viking Nordic Patrol, will be holding the in-person portion of the NSP ID course. The online portion must be completed ahead of time. South Chalet (Gold Room)
· Recruitment Round Table
Did Covid-19 take a toll on your Patrol numbers?
Join this round table to share recruitment ideas and brainstorm!
A panel of patrollers will lead this session.
Location to be announced
· Mesabi Trail Bike Ride
Join local bike enthusiasts and Giants Ridge Patrollers, Debby and Todd Roswald, for a scenic paved trail ride on the Mesabi Trail. Bring your own bike and helmet or rent from Giants Ridge by calling 218-865-8024 (Thursday through Sunday). The length of the ride will be tailored to individual desires. Meet outside the South Chalet.
12:00 – 1:00 pm
· Lunch Break – Complimentary sandwiches, chips and drinks will be served in the South Chalet. There are 4 restaurants on site: The Burn Onion Kitchen and Brews, the Wacootah Grill, the Bunkers Grill, and the Sleeping Giant. See the Giants Ridge website for details.
1:00 – 4:00 pm
· Bike Patrol Summit
Region Bike Advisor, Aaron Hislop from Spirit Mountain, will lead a session on current practices and equipment. (Meet on the deck outside South Chalet)
· NSP Q&A Session
Region, Division, and National leadership team members will provide updates and take questions from patrollers. South Chalet (Gold Room)
· How to Write Successful NSP Awards
Region Awards Advisor, Dave Bolstad from Spirit Mountain, will be presenting the best practices of NSP award writing. (location to be announced)
5:00 – 6:30 pm
· Social Hour – Main Chalet
· Region Program Advisor Booths
Interact with Region Program Advisors. Learn more about their programs and events they have scheduled for 2021/2022. Main Chalet
6:30 – 8:30 pm
· Buffet Dinner
Spend the evening with patrollers from around the Region as we celebrate patroller achievements. Main Chalet
Buffet Dinner: $20 per person. Deadline is July 1!
Note: The Western Region is using surplus funds to discount the cost of the buffet dinner.
Sunday, July 18th
· Patrol Representatives Breakfast
Meet with Region Director, Jeff Olsen!
8:00 am - 10:00 am in the Main Chalet
Patrol Representatives and Assistant PRs only (no cost)
· Lift Served Mountain Biking:
Giants Ridge has the largest lift served mountain bike park in the Midwest.
o 8 gravity trails
o 10 miles of cross-country trails
Adult tickets are $35 and youth (12 and under) are $30
Full suspension bikes can be rented by calling 218-865-8024 (Thursday through Sunday). For an introduction or guided tour of the trails, stop by the patrol room and ask for Justin!
· Golf: Giants Ridge has 2 of the top-rated courses in the state and country – The Legend and The Quarry. Reserve your tee time by calling 218-865-8030 or book online at www.giantsridge.com/golf
· Climbing Wall: $14 per person
· Disc Golf: Covering over 80 acres and up to 10,000 feet (champion position) of fairway distance, our course is also Minnesota’s longest. $5 per person. Rental discs available for $5
· Mesabi Trail: 135 miles of paved trail. Visit www.mesabitrail.com for more information. Bring your own bike and helmet or rent from Giants Ridge by calling 218-865-8024 (Thursday through Sunday)
For additional information, contact Jeannine Mogan: